B.Eng(Hons)., Ph.D. Adel, SMIEEE
Tel: (852) 3442-7802 Fax: (852) 2788-7791
Ko was born in Hong Kong, and attended Darwin High School followed by The University of Adelaide.
In 1978 he graduated with First Class Honours in Electrical Engineering (BEng(Hons)).
He was awarded an Australian Commonwealth Postgraduate Scholarship in 1978 and
completed his Ph.D. in communication engineering in 1982. He became a
Senior Engineer at Telecom Australia (now Telstra) Research Laboratories in Melbourne.
In 1986, he joined the Department of Electronic Engineering of the now City
University of Hong Kong.
He was the Programme Leader of the BSc(Hons) in Information Technology for five
years and has been involved in various programme
administration, planning and accreditation exercises. He has also participated in
many of the
academic activities of the University and served as an elected staff
representative on the Faculty Board and the
From 2005 to 2011, Dr Ko was selected by the graduating students of BEng(Hons)
in Information Engineering as their Outstanding Teacher. He has also
received the Grand Teaching Award from the Department of
Electronic Engineering in 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011 .
Performance Evaluation of
Communication Networks, Multiservice Wireless
Networks, Hierarchical Femto and Macrocell Network
Invited keynote presentations: 17
Referred journal papers: 61
Referred conference papers: 67
CityU Strategic Research Grants: 13 awarded from 1986 to 2010.
Hong Kong Government Competitive Earmarked Research Grants (CERG): 3 awarded.
Sabbatical Leave to Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of The University of Adelaide January to March 2010.
Sabbatical Leave to The Networks Technology & Service Platforms Group of Technical University of Denmark (DTU), May to July 2010.
Study Leave to Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering of The Australian National University June to August 2008.
Study Leave to The University of Melbourne, July to August 2005 and July to August 2006.
Sabbatical Leave to The University of Melbourne, January to April 2004.
Sabbatical Leave to Technical University of Denmark (DTU), May to August 2004.
Postgraduate Thesis Supervised:
PhD: Li Yi `The Control Aspects of Active Queue Management in TCP Networks',
MPhil: Successfully supervision of 8 MPhil graduates.
Life's Extra Experience:
In 1997, Dr Ko was diagnosed to have nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC), a very
common form of cancer for people in Hong Kong and Southern China. If you
are interested in his comments on the radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatments and experiences, click on NPC.
- ' Expert of International Standing' 2007 to
2011 by The College of Experts of The Australian Research Council.
- Member of Technical Program Committee:
IEEE Globecom 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006; Australian Telecommun Networks & Application Conference -- ATNAC Melbourne
2006; IEEE Vehicular
Technology Conference, Melbourne 2006; Int Teletraffic Congress, Ottawa
2007, Beijing 2005.
- Member of the Working Group on E-Commerce Environment and Technologies
Exploitation for the Hong Kong SAR Government 2000 to 2003.
- Recent invited reviewer for IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics; IEEE
Transaction on Networking; IEEE Communication Letters, IEEE Transactions on
External Consultancy Projects:
Citycom Technology Ltd, `Design Package of Hierarchical Wireless
HKSAR Dept of Education, `Learning materials of the Telecommunication Module',
Hongkong Telecom `A Detailed Proposal on an Automatic MPEG Allocation
Selected Journal Publications from this Century:
Last updated: June 2011.
- Q Huang, Y C Huang, K T Ko and V B Iversen, `Loss Performance Modeling for Hierarchical Wireless Networks with Speed-Sensitive Call Admission Control', accepted for publication, IEEE Trans on Vehicular Technology, 2011
- Q Huang, K T Ko and V B Iversen, `A New Convolution Algorithm for Loss Probability Analysis in Multiservice Networks', Performance Evaluation, Vol.68, Issue 1, January 2011, pp76-87.?
- Q Huang, K T Ko and V B Iversen, `Approximation of Loss Calculation for Hierarchical Networks with Multiservice Overflows', IEEE Transactions for Communications, vol. 56, no. 3, March 2008, pp 466-473.
- Y K Mei, K T Ko and G Peng, `Performance Evaluation on Scaling of Heuristically Optimal Topology', International Journal for Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems, Series B, Vol.14, 2007, pp89-93.
- Q Huang, Sammy Chan, P Li and K T Ko, `Performance of Hybrid ARQ using Trellis Coded Modulation over Rayleigh Fading Channel', IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol.56, no.5, September 2007, pp. 2784-2790.
- J S Sun, S Chan, K T Ko, G Chen and M Zukerman, `Instability Effects of Two-way Traffic in a TCP/AQM System', Computer Communications, vol. 30, 2007, pp.2172-2179.
- G Peng, K T Ko, L S Tan and G Chen, `Router-Level Internet as a Local-World Weighted Evolving Network', International Journal for Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems, Series B, Vol.13, 2006, pp681-692.
- Y Li, K T Ko and G Chen, `Stable Parameters for PI-Controlled AQM', IEE Electronics Letters, vol.42, no.15, July 2006, pp.73-74.
- Y Li, K T Ko and G Chen, `Transient Behavior of PI-Controlled AQM', IEE Electronics Letters, vol.42, no.8, April 2006, pp.494-495.
- Yi Li, K T Ko and G Chen, `A Smith Predictor-based PI-Controller for AQM', IEICE Trans on Communications, vol. E88-B, no.11, November, 2005, pp.4293-430.
- Q Huang, S Chan, P Li, K T Ko, and M Zukerman, `A Hybrid ARQ Scheme Based on CT-TCM Codes', IEEE Communications Letters, vol.9, no.7, July 2005, pp.664-666.
- L L H Andrew, T Cui, J S Sun, M Zukerman, K T Ko and S Chan, `Buffer Sizing for Nonhomogeneous TCP Sources', IEEE Communications Letters, vol.9, no.6, June 2005, pp.567-569.
- X Li, G Chen and K T Ko, `Transition to chaos in complex dynamical networks', Physics Letters A, July 2004, pp. 367-378.
- Z Fan, G Chen and K T Ko, `Evolving Networks: from Topology to Dynamics', Journal of Control Theory and Applications, Vol.2, No.1, pp60-64, 2004.
- X Li, G Chen and K T Ko, `Transition to chaos in complex dynamical networks', Physics Letters A, pp367-378, 2004.
- Q Huang, S Chan, K T Ko, and M Zukerman, `An Enhanced Handoff Control Scheme for Multimedia Traffic in Cellular Networks', IEEE Communications Letters, Vol.8, No.3, March 2004, pp195-197.
- K S Tang, E W M Wong, S Chan, K T Ko, `Optimal Video Placement Scheme for Batching VOD Services' IEEE Trans. on Broadcasting, Vol.50, No.1, pp 16-25, March 2004.
- J S Sun, K T Ko, G Chen, S Chan, M Zukerman, `Adaptive Drop-Tail: A Simple and Efficient Active Queue Management Algorithm for Internet Flow Control', in J Charzinski, R Lehnert and P Trans-Gia editors, Providing Quality of Service in Heterogeneous Environments, Vol. 5b in the series: Teletraffic Science and Engineering, North Holland - Elsevier Science Publishers, ISBN 0-444-51455-4, Amsterdam 2003, pp. 1261-1270.
- Q Huang, S Chan, K T Ko and M Zukerman, `An Efficient Reservation Based Handoff Control Scheme for Multimedia Traffic in Mobile Cellular Networks', in J Charzinski, R Lehnert and P Trans-Gia editors, Providing Quality of Service in Heterogeneous Environments, Vol. 5b in the series: Teletraffic Science and Engineering, North Holland - Elsevier Science Publishers, ISBN 0-444-51455-4, Amsterdam 2003, pp. 771-780.
- J S Sun, K T Ko, G Chen, S Chan and M Zukerman, `PD-RED: to Improve the Performance of RED', IEEE Communication Letters, Vol.7, No.8, pp. 406-408, August 2003.
- S W Wong, K T Ko, S Chan and E W M Wong, `Congestion Control for MPEG Video Services over ATM Networks', International Journal for Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems, Series B: Applications and Algorithms, Special Issue on Dynamic Systems in Communication Networks, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 581-602, August 2003.
- Q Huang, S Chan, K T Ko, `Dynamic Bandwidth Sharing for Handoff Traffic in Multimedia Mobile Cellular Networks', IEE Electronics Letter, Vol.39, No.10, pp801-802, May 2003.
- K S Chan, S Chan and K T Ko, `Fault Tolerance in Clos-Knockout Multicast ATM Switch', Int Journal of Communication Systems, Vol.15, No.9 pp783-798, Nov 2002.
- S Chan, M Zukerman, E W M Wong, K T Ko, E Yeung, B Wydrowski, `A Congestion Control Framework for Available Bit Rate Service in ATM Networks', Int Journal of Communication Systems, Vol.15, pp341-357, 2002.
- X F Wang, G Chen and K T Ko, `A Stability Theorem for Internet Congestion Control', Systems &Control Letters, Vol.45, pp81-85, 2002.
- K S Tang, K T Ko, S Chan, E W M Wong, `Optimal File Placement in a VOD System using Genetic Algorithm', IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol.48, No.5, pp891-897, Oct, 2001.
- G Q Zhong, K F Man and K T Ko, `Uncertainty in Chaos Synchronization', International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, Vol.11, No.6, pp1723-1735, 2001.
- G Q Zhong, K T Ko, K F Man and K S Tang, `A Systematic Procedure for Synthesizing Two-terminal Devices with Polynomial Nonlinearity', International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications Vol.29, pp241-249, 2001
- S Chan, M Zukerman, E W M Wong, K T Ko and E Yeung, `Performance Evaluation of Fair Packet Discarding in Network with Multiple Bottlenecks', IEE Electronics Letter, Vol.36, No.20, pp1747-1749, 2000.
- K S Chan, S Chan, K T Ko, K L Yeung and E W M Wong, `A Refined Model for Performance Analysis of Output-buffered Banyan Networks', Telecommunication Systems, Vol 13, pp. 393-411, 2000.
- K S Chan, S Chan, K T Ko, K L Yeung and E W M Wong, `An Efficient Handoff Management Scheme for Mobile Wireless ATM Networks', IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol.49, No.3, pp799-816, May 2000.