B.Sc., Ph.D. Portsmouth, CEng, MIEE, SMIEEE
Room: G6514 Tel: (852) 2788-7723 Fax: (852) 2788-7791 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Lau received B.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical and electronic engineering from University of Portsmouth in 1985 and 1989, respectively.
He joined the Microwave Telecommunications and Signal Processing Research Unit of the University of Portsmouth in 1985 as a Research Assistant. His Ph.D. research topic was on the application of signal processing techniques to the modelling of microwave, line-of-sight, multipath communication channels. In 1990, he joined the City University of Hong Kong and is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Engineering and Information Technology. He is the Programme Leader of the B.Eng. in Computer Engineering Programme. His current research interests are in the area of digital signal processing, digital audio engineering and speech signal processing. He was the Chairman of the IEEE Hong Kong Joint Chapter on CAS/COM for 1997 and 1998. He was the Registration Co-chairman of the 1997 International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS'97) and 2003 International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2003). He is the Chairman of the IEEE Hong Kong Section for 2005. He is a recipient of the IEEE Third Millennium Award.
RESEARCH INTERESTSDigital Signal Processing, Digital Audio Engineering, Visual Speech Signal Processing
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- S.L. Wang, W.H. Lau and S.H. Leung, “Automatic Lip Contour Extraction from Color Images,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 37, pp. 2375-2387, Dec. 2004.
- W.H. Lau, Bin Zhou and Henry S.H. Chung, “Compact Analytical Solutions For Determining The Spectral Characteristics Of Multi-carrier Based Multilevel PWM,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, Part I, Vol. 51, No. 8, pp. 1577-1585, Aug. 2004.
- S. H. Leung, S. L. Wang and W. H. Lau, “Lip Image Segmentation using Fuzzy Clustering incorporating an Elliptic Shape Function,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol. 13, n1. 4, pp. 51-62, Jan. 2004.
- A.W.C. Liew, S.H. Leung and W.H. Lau, “Segmentation of Color Lip Images by Spatial Fuzzy Clustering,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy systems, Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 542-549, Aug. 2003.
- A.W.C. Liew, S.H. Leung and W.H. Lau, “Lip Contour Extraction from Color Images Using a Deformable Model,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 35, pp. 2942-2962, Dec. 2002.
- S.L.Wang, S.H.Leung and W.H.Lau, “Lip Segmentation by Fuzzy Clustering Incorporating With Shape Function,” Proc. of IEEE ICASSP’2002, Vol. I., pp. 1077-1080, Orlado, May, 2002.
- K.L. Sum, W.H. Lau, S.H. Leung, Alan W.C. Liew and K.W. Tse, “A new optimization procedure for extracting the point-based lip contour using Active shape model,” Proc. of ICASSP’2001, pp. V-III MULT-P1.3, Salt Lake City, May, 2001.
- A.W.C Liew, S.H. Leung and W.H. Lau, “Lip Contour Extraction Using a Deformable Model," Proc. Of IEEE ICIP 2000, Vol.-II, pp. 255-258, Vancouver, Canada, Sept. 2000.
- A.W.C. Liew, S.H. Leung and W.H. Lau, "Region-based approach to robust lip contour extraction," IEE Electronics Letters, vol.36, no.15, pp.1272-1274, July 2000.
- A.W.C. Liew, S.H. Leung and W.H. Lau, "Fuzzy Image Clustering Incorporating Spatial Continuity," IEE Proc. Visual Image Signal Processing, Vol. 147, No. 2, pp. 185-192, Apr. 2000.
- W.H. Lau, H. Chung, C.M. Wu and N.K. Poon, “Realization of Digital Audio Amplifier Using Zero-Voltage-Switched PWM Power Converter,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, Part I, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 303-311, Mar. 2000.
- W.C Liew, K.L. Sum, S.H. Leung and W.H. Lau , “Fuzzy Segmentation Of Lip Image Using Cluster Analysis,” Proc. of Eurospeech'99, Vol. 1, pp. 335-338, Budapest, Sept. 1999.
- S. H. Leung, Y. Xiong, W. H. Lau, and C. F. So, "Whitening Prefiltered TLS Linear Predictor for Frequency Estimation," IEE Electronics Letters, vol.35, no.15, pp.1232-1233, July 1999.
- C.M. Wu, W.H. Lau and H. Chung, “Analytical Technique for Calculating the Output Harmonics of An H-Bridge Inverter with Dead Time,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, Part I, Vol. 46, No. 5, pp. 617-627, May 1999.