Admission to our PhD programme can be processed through Early Rounds, Normal Round, and Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS).
(1) Getting Started - Look for research areas and take TOEFL/IELTS
(2) Preparation - Contact a potential supervisor and write an original research proposal for HKPFS.
(3) Submit - Through CityU's Online Admission System and the RGC's Online Application System for HKPFS.
(4) Checklist for applicant (pdf).
Early Round Admission
The Early Rounds target the brightest students applying for PhD admission. For entry in September 2021, applications to the PhD programme can be submitted through CityU's Online Admission System starting August 2020. There are two Early Rounds with the application deadlines listed in the table above.
- Highly competitive applications will be processed immediately after the application deadlines of the two Early Rounds.
- Successful applicants will normally receive a postgraduate studentship that covers a monthly stipend. For reference, the approved studentship rate for 2020/21 is HK$17,510/month.
- Applicants who do not receive offers in the Early Rounds will be automatically considered during the Normal Round in December.
Early Round applicants are strongly encouraged to also apply for HKPFS concurrently.
With the aim to recruit the brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong, the Government of Hong Kong has established the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS). The application deadline is listed in the table above. Applicants are required to submit to both RGC's Online Application System (OAS) and CityU's Online Admission System.
- The call for application is set for 1 September 2020 (at 12 noon GMT +8h).
- HKPFS from the Hong Kong government’s Research Grants Council (RGC) provides a monthly stipend of HK$26,600 (~US$3,410), and conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,300 (~US$1,705) per year for the awardees for a maximum of three years. (CityU will provide the same level of monthly studentship to cover the fourth year of studies.)
- CityU’s HKPFS recipients are awarded the “Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Entrance Scholarship” (HK$81,096; ~US$10,396), which covers students' tuition and on-campus hostel accommodation fees in their first year of research studies.
- HKPFS applicants will also be considered for the Normal Round admission to CityU. For applicants selected by CityU to RGC, firm admission offers with regular postgraduate studentship will be given by CityU, even if they are not awarded HKPFS by RGC at the end.
- The admission offer will be confirmed by CityU in January 2021. HKPFS results will be announced by RGC in March 2021.
Normal Round Admission
Applicants are required to submit a full application to CityU's Online Admission System. The application deadline for the Normal Round is listed in the table above. Applicants are encouraged to contact a potential supervisor prior to submitting an application to our university. While it is not mandatory for applicant to contact EE faculty prior to submitting an application, they must declare an research area of interest in the application form. See checklist for further details on choosing a research area.
Applications received after the normal round deadline (2 December 2020) will be considered depending on the availability of positions and funding. Applicants are required to complete the full application as soon as possible to CityU's Online Admission System. Potential supervisors should also be indicated in the application form, otherwise a research area of interest should be declared. See checklist for further details on choosing a research area.
Last Updated: 27 Jul 2020