- Upcoming Events
- Research Degrees (PhD/MPhil)
- Teaching and Research Facilities
Curriculum (2023 Entering Major and Thereafter)
Major Intended Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this major programme, students should possess:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process that conforms to a given specification within realistic constraints
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, evaluate, formulate and solve engineering problems
- Awareness of professional and ethical responsibilities
- An ability to communicate effectively
- Knowledge in contemporary issues and an awareness of the impact of engineering solutions in a broad, global and societal context
- Recognition of the need for life-long learning
- An ability to use necessary engineering tools
Implementation of 4-year Curriculum
The 4-year curriculum allows students to gain in-depth knowledge through major studies, and diversify their learning with optional minors and electives as appropriate. Students will also benefit from a variety of Gateway Education (GE) courses on offer, in the areas of Academic English, Chinese Civilization – History and Philosophy, Arts and Humanities, Study of Societies, Social and Business Organizations, and Science and Technology.
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
In collaboration with industry, the Department aims to equip students early with real work experience before graduation through different placement schemes. We have Industrial Attachment Scheme (IAS) and Overseas Internship Scheme (OIS), which offer local and overseas summer placement opportunities; and Professional Internship Programme of different durations: 4 months / 8 months / 12 months, providing flexibilities to suit the different needs of students and companies.
Uplifting students’ global outreach and international competitiveness through student exchange is one of the Department’s goals. Since 2015, more than 330 students have been sent out to top universities in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Japan, Korea, mainland China, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, the UK and the USA for semester-long exchange and summer exchange. Unfortunately, due to COVID, the programme has been suspended since 2020.
Student Tutoring Schemes
Student learning is always the Department's top priority, facilitated by the long-established Student Tutoring Scheme. The scheme aims to nurture good learning skills in our students, particularly during their first and second year with EE. Outstanding senior year students are selected to coach students in their studies through regular meetings and out-of-classroom time. The Scheme has successfully created a positive learning ambience among peers and has been well received among students.
Each year, approximately 60 scholarships worth over HK$ 1 million are granted to students of the Department of Electrical Engineering.
Over the years, CityU Electrical Engineering students have won many top prizes in various international, regional and local competitions and award schemes. Click here for more information.
Last Updated : 15 Feb 2023