Department of Electrical Engineering (Bachelor of Engineering)
- Curriculum Structure for 4-year Degree
- First Year Curriculum and Course Registration
- Major Options and Major Allocation
- Academic Regulations
- Academic Honesty and Lab Safety
- Major Management Teams
Major Options and Major Allocation
A. Major Options
EE offers four majors. They are:
- Computer and Data Engineering (CDE)
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering (ELEL)
- Information Engineering (INFE)
- Microelectronics Engineering (MEE)
B. Major Allocation
Towards the end of Semester B, the top 40% of students who meet the University, College and Department specified requirements will have a free choice of majors offered under Department of Electrical Engineering. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major of their choice, subject to the availability of places and selection criteria set by individual majors.
Top 40% Major Allocation
Selection based on:
- Cumulative grade point average (CGPA) at the end of Semester B;
- No failed grades in any courses in Semester A and B;
- Completion of at least 30(Note 1 & 2) credit units in Semester A and B, including the number of credit units earned from College Requirements, College-specified GE courses and courses as required by the Department.
Remaining 60% Major Allocation
Selection based on:
- Cumulative grade point average at the end of Semester B
- Student’s choice
Note 1: For students who have been granted transfer credits, they are still required to complete courses of at least 30 credit units in Semesters A and B 2022/23 in order to be eligible for participation in the Phase One majors allocation exercise. If transfer credits or course exemption is granted for those required courses that are specified by the College/School/Department, the students concerned do not need to take those required courses as their fellow students do. Instead they will have to take other courses in order to meet the 30 credit unit requirement if they want to participate in the Phase One majors allocation exercise.
Note 2: In the context of meeting the criteria for the Phase One majors allocation exercise, credits earned from “LC0200A English for Academic Purposes 1”, “LC0200B English for Academic Purposes 2”, and “CHIN1001 University Chinese I” taken in Semesters A and B 2022/23 will be counted towards the 30 credit unit requirement. However, grades obtained from the above courses will not be included in the GPA calculation.
Note 3: Students who are on leave of absence in either Semester A or Semester B 2022/23 will still be included in the major allocation exercise, but they will not be eligible to join Phase One majors allocation exercise. They will be allocated a major in Phase Two allocation.
Details: Please refer to ARRO’s page.
Key Dates for Major Allocation in 2022/23
|18 - 31 May 2023||Students to indicate their choice of majors via the online system after the release of Semester B 2022/23 course grades|
|1 June 2023||Phase One majors allocation exercise|
|From 2 June 2023||Students being allocated a major to view the allocation result via the online system|
|2 - 9 June 2023||
|12 June 2023||Phase Two majors allocation exercise|
|From 13 June 2023||Remaining students to view the allocated major via the online system|
Last Updated : 6 Jun 2023