The programme provides well-structured training for IT professionals who want to keep abreast with the dynamics in multimedia and information technology. It aims at equipping students with in-depth knowledge of the state-of-the-art multimedia information technology and the necessary skills to meet the needs from the community. On completion of the programme, students with different technical backgrounds and aspirations can:
- have a strong theoretical foundation in multimedia systems and applications, mobile computing, internet computing, and networking;
- acquire analytical ability that enables them to conduct high-level research and development in the rapidly changing IT industry;
- enhance their capacity to continue professional and career development
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
With the global trend towards the adoption of the outcomes based approach to education, City University of Hong Kong embarked on the Outcomes-based Teaching and Learning (OBTL) project to signify its determination to continue to enhance the education experience for its students. All taught postgraduate programmes and courses of EE have adopted this outcomes based approach since 2009, with some of them in pilot runs in earlier years. Sets of intended learning outcomes on both course level and programme level have been developed. Course Intended Learning Outcomes (CILOs) of individual courses and their constructive alignment with programme outcomes can be found in respective course syllabuses while Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs) are listed below for students' reference:
- Describe current and anticipated trends in the selected areas including the processing, storage, retrieval, communication and visualization of multimedia information.
- Evaluate and analyze new technologies in the selected areas.
- Apply specialist knowledge in the selected areas.
- Assess, evaluate and formulate solutions to problems or specifications, in the selected areas.
- Carry out research and develop new technologies and products in the selected areas.
- Apply effective communication skills in their professions.
- Manage teams of technologists with good senses of business and marketing (BM option only).
- Manage a research project and develop strong ability to do academic/ industrial research (IR option only)
- Completion of programme normally in 1 year in full-time mode
- Courses taught by experienced professors or industrialists
- Internship opportunities at local or overseas research institutions or companies
- Multiple exit awards and re-entry routes
- Including Continuing Education Fund reimbursable courses
There may be internship or placement opportunities offered to full-time overseas students for gaining experience related to the technical electives under the MSc programmes in summer term. The internship or placement that have been successfully offered in recent years are for a period of 3 to 6 months at electronic companies or leading research establishments, located in Hong Kong or in overseas countries. Examples of Overseas Internship in Summer 2019 are University at Buffalo (USA), University of York (UK), King's College London (UK), Delphi Electronics Ltd (Poland), Singapore University of Technology & Design (Singapore) and Nanyang Technological University (Singapore). In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, internships are mainly arranged to be held at local companies/institutions. Examples of Local Internship in Summer 2023 are Sengital Limited, App2One Limited and Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC).
Last Updated : 3 Aug 2023