This page lists the minimum admission requirements for reference. The latest detailed information on admission is provided by the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) at https://www.cityu.edu.hk/pg/research-degree-programmes. Applicants seeking admission to a research degree programme should satisfy the following minimum entrance requirements:
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- hold a Bachelor’s degree with first class honours (or equivalent qualification) from a recognised university;
- hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent qualification) from a recognised university; or
- be a current MPhil student in the University who seeks transfer to PhD Candidature.
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- hold a relevant Bachelor’s degree with first or second class honours (or equivalent qualification) from a recognised university.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants from an institution where the language of teaching is not English should satisfy the following minimum English proficiency requirements:
- A minimum IELTS of 6.5; or
- A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based), or 79 (internet-based); or 59 (revised paper - delivered test; sum of reading, listenng and writing scores)
- other test scores that may be regarded as equivalent to TOEFL 550 (paper-based), or 79 (internet-based), or 59 (revised paper - delivered test; sum of reading, listenng and writing scores).
For exceptional applicants with strong academic and research potentials, a minimum score of 490 in the Chinese College English Test (CET) Band 6 may be considered for the English requirement. However, CET is not recognized as a sufficient proof of English proficiency for HKPFS.
The research directions of our faculty members are listed under Research Theme of EE website. Applicants are encouraged to approach EE faculty members. Although it is not compulsory to contact one prior to submitting an online application, applicant must at least declare a research area of interest among the list of expertise provided in the preceding.
Last Updated : 10 Aug 2019