Master of Science in Electronic Information Engineering (MScEIE)
Optional Exit Routes
- Business Management (BM) Option
- Industrial Research (IR) Option
- A degree of one of the universities in Hong Kong or an overseas institution recognized for this purpose by the University; OR
- An equivalent qualification, or provided evidence of academic and professional attainment acceptable for this purpose by the university.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test) or 79 (Internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)@#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)@; or
- A score of 450 in band 6 in the Chinese mainland’s College English Test; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
@ TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the start of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange for the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
In view of the recent development of COVID-19, ‘TOEFL iBT Home Edition’ and ‘IELTS Indicator’, as indicated below, are accepted as equivalent qualifications for the fulfillment of the University’s minimum English proficiency requirement for admission to TPg programmes with immediate effect (for 2022/23 cohort) until further notice.
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition: a score of 79; or
- IELTS Indicator: an overall band score of 6.5
Credit Unit Requirements, Duration and Tuition Fee
|MSEIE||MSEIE - BM Option||MSEIE - IR Option1|
|Credit units (CUs) required||30||45||30|
|Normal Duration||Full-time : 1 year
Part-time/combined mode2 : 2 years
|Full-time : 1.5 years
Part-time/combined mode2 : 3 years
|Maximum Period of Study||Full-time :2.5 years
Part-time/combined mode2 : 5 years
|Full-time : 3.5 years
Part-time/combined mode2 : 7.5 years
|Fee per course
|HK$16,800 ($5,600 per credit unit)|
|Total Programme Fee||HK$168,000||HK$252,000||HK$252,000|
Note 1: Only students taking full-time study mode can opt for Industrial Research (IR) Option.
Note 2:Combined mode: Local students taking programmes in combined mode can attend full-time (12-18 credit units per semester) or part-time (no more than 11 credit units per semester) study in different semesters without seeking approval from the University. For non-local students, they will be admitted to these programmes for either full-time or part-time studies. Non-local students must maintain the required credit load for their full-time or part-time studies and any changes will require approval from the University.
Semesters in 2023/24
|Semester A||4 September 2023|
|Semester B||15 January 2024|
|Summer Term||11 June 2024|
Fellowship awards are available for local students admitted to this programme under the Fellowships Scheme supported by the HKSAR Government. Local students admitted to the programme in full-time, part-time or combined study mode will be invited to submit applications for the fellowships. Please click to view more details about the Fellowships Scheme.
Application Periods and Forms
Application for admission in September 2023 (Semester A): starting from mid of November 2022. Click here for application details and deadline.
Last Updated : 3 Aug 2023