The MSc programme aims to provide an enhancement of specialist technical knowledge in strategically selected areas, such as RF and Microwaves Circuits and Applied Electromagnetics, Wireless Communications, Networking and Data Communications and Optical Communications that are relevant to the current and anticipated future needs from industry. Due to the rapid advances of existing technologies, the programme is designed for practicing engineers who want to upgrade and update their knowledge in this field.
The programme offers a good selection of business management electives, preparing engineers with knowledge on top of their technical fronts to take up managerial positions in their engineering career.
The programme also offers Industrial or Research Internship experience via the Applied Research Internship Scheme preparing students for full employment immediately after their research internships, or for further studies as PhD candidates in their related technology areas either locally or in overseas countries.
With the global trend towards the adoption of the outcomes based approach to education, City University of Hong Kong embarked on the Outcomes-based Teaching and Learning (OBTL) project to signify its determination to continue to enhance the education experience for its students. All taught postgraduate programmes and courses of EE have adopted this outcomes based approach since 2009, with some of them in pilot runs in earlier years. Sets of intended learning outcomes on both course level and programme level have been developed. Course Intended Learning Outcomes (CILOs) of individual courses and their constructive alignment with programme outcomes can be found in respective course syllabuses while Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs) are listed below for students' reference:
- Describe current and anticipated trends in the selected areas including Wireless Communications, Networking and Information Engineering, Optical Communications and RF and Microwave Circuits and Applied Electromagnetics.
- Evaluate and analyze new technologies in the selected areas.
- Apply specialist knowledge in the selected areas.
- Assess, evaluate and formulate solutions to problems or specifications, in the selected areas.
- Carry out research and develop new technologies and products in the selected areas.
- Apply effective communication skills in their professions.
- Manage teams of technologists with good senses of business and marketing (BM option only).
- Manage a research project and develop strong ability to do academic/ industrial research (IR option only).
- Completion of programme normally in 1 year in full-time mode
- Courses taught by experienced professors or industrialists
- Internship opportunities at local or overseas research institutions or companies
- Multiple exit awards and re-entry routes
- The offer of course in dissertation type leading to admission to the PhD degree in CityU
- Including Continuing Education Fund reimbursable courses
There may be internship or placement opportunities offered to full-time overseas students for gaining experience related to the technical electives under the MSc programmes in summer term. The internship or placement that have been successfully offered in recent years are for a period of 3 to 6 months at electronic companies or leading research establishments, located in Hong Kong or in overseas countries. Examples of Overseas Internship in Summer 2019 are University at Buffalo (USA), University of York (UK), King's College London (UK), Delphi Electronics Ltd (Poland), Singapore University of Technology & Design (Singapore) and Nanyang Technological University (Singapore). In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, internships are mainly arranged to be held at local companies/institutions. Examples of Local Internship in Summer 2021 are Sengital Limited, StemHub Holdings Limited, Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC), ESIX Limited and Zyetric Technologies Limited.
Last Updated : 24 Aug 2021