The aim of this major is to provide students with sound knowledge of the fundamental principles involved in the design and fabrication of integrated circuits (ICs), and a comprehensive understanding of electronics and information technologies. The curriculum includes application specific IC (ASIC) design for novel applications, nanotechnologies for high-performance devices and microsystems, new designs and materials for ICs, digital processor, system-on-chip, wireless and optical communications, and embedded system design. Upon completion of the major, students will be sufficiently prepared for employment in various sectors of the microelectronics and electronics industry, and well equipped with fundamental knowledge for pursuing postgraduate studies.
Major Educational Objectives
The Major Educational Objectives of MEE major are to:
- Provide graduates with a solid education in microelectronics engineering and tools that will enable them to identify and solve related engineering problems.
- Provide graduates with the ability and vision that will enable them to become independent life‐long learners in nowadays rapidly changing knowledge-based economy.
- Provide graduates with a solid foundation in microelectronics engineering tools that will enable them to pursue postgraduate studies in related engineering or their chosen field of interest.
- Provide graduates with the basic skills to communicate and lead effectively and to be able to work independently as well as collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Provide graduates with a broad-based education that will prepare them to work with high standards of ethical conduct and societal responsibilities.
With the prolific growth in smart applications and the great demand for new designs and materials for Integrated Circuits (IC), the introduction of the programme addresses the timely need to train microelectronics engineers and meets the market demand for new microelectronics technologies in Hong Kong, the Greater Bay Area and across the world. Graduates of the programme will be open to an exciting suite of career opportunities: versatile IC design and manufacturing engineers are in great demand in this era of Artificial Intelligence and 5G technology.
In Hong Kong, companies headquartered in Hong Kong Science Park including Huawei, AMASIC, UMEC, REDISH, Infineon, and Solomon Systech are the major players of IC design and technology. They altogether have hired over one thousand engineers focusing on different areas of IC design and production. Jobs and demands from renowned and upstart international companies are increasing rapidly because of the strong global market and the emergence of the technological hub in the Greater Bay Area. Across the border in Shenzhen, there is also a huge demand on well-trained IC engineers.
- Job Nature of Graduates
Analog IC design engineer, Digital frontend/backend IC Design Engineer, Process Engineer, Manufacturing and Automation Engineer, Equipment Engineer, Telecommunication Engineer, Electronic/ Electrical Engineer, Product and System Developer/ Administrator, Hardware/ Software/ Network Engineer, Computer Programmer, IT Developer, System Analyst, Production and Manufacturing, Sales and Marketing, Research and Development, Auditor, etc.
The major is intended to seek accreditation by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE - 香港工程師學會) in disciplines of Electronics (ENS); and Control, Automation & Instrumentation (CAI). This is one of the educational requirements for obtaining Charter status. Based on the Washington Accord, graduates will receive reciprocal recognition from equivalent bodies in Australia, Canada, China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong-China, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peru, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Last Updated : 7 Oct 2022